Everything we do is communication. Every day in many ways we communicate. We communicate our thoughts, feelings, desires and many more. We communicate whether and how much we like and respect someone and sometimes we do the contrary. We communicate happiness, uncertainty, delight and misery. Simple or complex, intended or unintended, planned or spontaneous, active or passive, communication is one of the key interpersonal skills to reach results, fulfill needs and ambition and it fills the principal part of our day. Our ability to communicate and also to influence will have an effect on everything – how well we gather and give information, how well we express ideas or feelings, how well we solve problems and make decisions, how well you reach agreements and resolve disagreements and finally it will help you get your own way, while maintaining and respecting relationships.
This workshop is designed to equip participants with the key knowledge and skills needed to communicate and influence effectively across the organization.
The workshop is delivered in a positive, enthusiastic, energetic and stimulating manner using a mixture of tutor led input, and based on a series of role plays, where participants get the possibility to apply their skills and receive intensive feedback. The role-play situations progressively become more complex and difficult throughout day.
After each practice session we take extensive time for individual and group feedback, which each participant should incorporate into their action plan and make use of during the remaining of the workshop. At the end of this workshop, the participants are able to identify and recognize the key behaviors and skills to enable them to be effective communicators and influencers. They are also asked to fill out an action plan based on what they have learnt during the 2 days and which will include actions to be followed up after the training has taken place.
Objectives of this Communication and Influencing Skills course
After having attended this training participants will be able to:
- Define the terms Communication and Influencing
- Analyse barriers and problems of face to face, written and telephone communication and develop plans on how to overcome these
- Understand your individual communication style as well as the communication styles of others via the behavioural analysis DiSC™
- Adapt and “flex” their communication towards others in order to be more effective communicators
- Create impact and be assertive
- Practice the necessary skills to be a successful and effective influencer
- Analyse your own Influencing Style
- Understanding the “Influencing Model”
- Use your communication and influencing skills when handling difficult behaviour
- Receive feedback through role-plays and exercises during the workshop
Content this Communication and Influencing Skills course
Note: This course includes pre-work.
- Introduction to Communication: “The Communication Process”
- Profiling the Effective Communicator
- 8 contributing factors to effective communication
- Where are you?
- Problems and Barriers of communication : written, telephone, face to face
- DiSC Behavioural Analysis
- Analysing your own styles
- How to spot the style in others and how to adapt/flex your style to be more effective
- Style Strengths over or under used
- DiSC and Communication
- Creating impact and being assertive – How do I come across?
- Your message: Verbal, Vocal, Visual
- Increasing the believability of your message
- What has Culture got to do with it?
- Introduction to Influencing: “The Influencing Process”
- Skills you need:
- Understanding needs first!
- Creating Value and Buy in – being customer focused
- Benefits versus features – taking a consultative approach
- Techniques to help you
- Questioning, Listening, Matching and Building Rapport
- Analysing your Influencing Style
- Using a model for Influencing
- Influencing across the organisation
- Practicing stakeholder analysis
- Handling difficult behaviour
- Role Play: My own “difficult situation”
- Personal Action Planning