Negotiation skills are the skills you need to master in order to achive the best outcome for your company during a negtiation. The purpose of negotiating is to resolve conflict of interests on various issues. Negotiation aims to achieve a result that satisfies all Parties. This workshop is designed to equip participants with the key knowledge and skills needed to negotiate successfully. It provides hints and tips, knowledge, tools and techniques as well as experience in a safe environment. By developing negotiating skills, you will become more confident, assertive, motivated, achieve better working relationships and obtain more win-win deals.
The workshop is built around a 5-step process and participants will gradually learn how to best apply all 5 steps to their negotiations. We use the Harvard Business School Model of Negotiation, which is adopting one of two stances ‘Positional or Principled’ this is coupled with Professor Gavin Kennedy of Herriott Watt University approach to Negotiation and Neil Rackham’s behaviors within a Negotiation.
The workshop is delivered in a positive, enthusiastic, energetic and stimulating manner using tutor led input, discussion and case plays where the participants prepare and then role play different negotiations. The case plays progressively become more complex and difficult throughout the day and are linked to the 5 Step process of negotiation.
Objectives of our Practical Negotiation Skills Training
In this highly interactive workshop you will:
• Learn how and when to use negotiation
• Follow a clear process to negotiate in any business situation
• Use the right tactics to handle any negotiation situation
• Practice to be more persuasive in your negotiations
• Plan and prepare a strategy for successful negotiations
• Use effective negotiation skills and behaviors to gather information
• Manage conflict and deadlock
• Learn several key theories of cross cultural difference and apply these to your business negotiations
• Discuss cross cultural etiquette and behaviors
Program of our Practical Negotiation Skills Course
• The Negotiation Process from a “buyers” and “sellers” perspective
• Types and Styles of Negotiation: Positional and Principled
• Negotiating across cultures
The Negotiation Skills Process
Step 1: Preparation
• Planning your strategy
• Defining SMART objectives
• Identifying your Likes-Intents-Musts
• Planning workable concessions and variables
• Preparing a BATNA
Step 2: Explore and Exchange
• Effective openings
• Analyzing communication styles and tactics
• Identifying objectives and all factors affecting negotiation
• Understanding open and hidden agendas
• Listening, questioning and assertion skills
Step 3: Negotiate
• Conducting a discussion during the negotiation
• Package and receive proposals
• Handle conflict and stalemate within the negotiation
• Lead the negotiation
• Bargaining skills
Step 4: Agree and Close
• Dealing with objections and underhand tactics
• Focusing on outcomes not positions
• Creating a 'win-win' situation
Step 5: Follow up
• Follow up after the negotiation
• Action plan
Assessment and Follow-Up
After each case play we take extensive time for individual and group feedback, which each participant should incorporate into their action plan and make use of during the remaining of the course. Participants will be using a ‘Planning Sheet’ for every case play, which will enable them to focus while they prepare and also review the outcome of each case play in a critical manner. The aim is, that the participants will use the ‘Planning Sheet’ as ongoing tool and memory aid, once they are back in their real world.
At the end of this workshop, the participants are able to identify and recognize the key behaviors and skills to enable them to negotiate more effectively and as a final part of the workshop, participants have to fill out an action plan based on what they have learnt during the 2 days.
At the end of each course, evaluations will be collated and can be reviewed for performance management purposes. The program starts with a two-day training workshop. In order to reinforce the learning VIRAK can, on request, include a one-to-one follow-up session 6-8 weeks after the course, where progress will be ascertained and future development discussed. VIRAK can also assist and/or coach with the preparation of negotiations.